Monday, November 5, 2007

hw 24 "An island of my own"

In Virginia Woolf's book a "Room of One's Own", she describes a place where a person can go to gather their thoughts and draw forth a creative and inspirational presence. She believes a person needs this kind of environment to be able to write at their best. I thought about it for a moment and realized that I do indeed have such a place. A place where my creativity has no restraints. The Isles of Shoals is a small group of islands located of the coast of Maine and New Hampshire. I've been going there since i was a child and it the single place where i feel the most free to let go and be myself. To be specific it is an certain island called Star Island. In fact Woolf may even be familiar to the island, because it and its neighboring island of Appledore housed a summer get away for many famous poets. Waldo Emerson, Nathanial Hawthorne, and Sarah Orne to name a few; roughly at the same time that Woolf was living. Apparently, it is a popular place for people to have their room's there. She also says that one needs money to be a proficient author. Now, that may be true, if you refer to the money needed to stay on the island. However, it is the atmosphere that brings the brings me to that metaphorical room where may creativity can run free.

No comments: